World No. 2 Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from the Mexican Open ahead of his scheduled match with Feliciano Lopez today.
Rafa said he followed doctor’s instructions and everything was going according to plan with his recovery from the left leg muscle injury that forced him to retire in the Australian Open quarterfinals last month.
My goal and hope was to play in this tournament. Unfortunately, in my last training session on Monday, I felt a sharp pain in my leg again.
I took all the appropriate steps to arrive at the tournament in form. I went to Cozumel first, to adapt (to the climate). But yesterday, in my last training session before the tournament, during one movement I felt a sharp pain again in the same area where I had the problem in Australia.
I still don’t know what it is, because we don’t know. It seems it’s not as bad as what I had at the Australian Open. Now, my main goal is to find out the extent of the injury.
Maybe it is a minor situation, but the reality is that there is liquid and until it goes down a bit and the relevant tests are done, it will not be possible to diagnose. (via AFP)
He is still not sure will he be able to play in Indian Wells and Miami. He said that now is not the moment to take some drastic moves and no matter will he be able to play in Indian Wells or not he will stay calm because his next goal then will be getting healthy for the clay season.
Get well soon, Rafa!