- Nadal Enjoying ‘Unbelievable’ Day In Monte-Carlo | ATP World Tour
“It really is unbelievable. To win 10 times at such an important event like Monte-Carlo, it’s something difficult to describe my feelings,” Nadal said. “I feel lucky to keep playing tennis [and] being healthy all those years, in order to compete in one of the most beautiful events of the year, without a doubt. I am very happy to win another one. For me, it is a very important day in my career.”
“But I never take Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome, Madrid like a preparation for one tournament. These tournaments are so important for [themselves]. Then Roland Garros arrives later. Is difficult to think about Roland Garros now.”
But, when he was asked to contemplate what 10 titles at Roland Garros would mean, Nadal smiled.
“I want it,” he said.
“Thanks to life,” Rafa said, looking upward, “for giving me this great opportunity.”
Thanks to life; thanks to his own life, and how consistently he has lived it. Even with his unprecedented success on clay, and his reputation as the best male player on that surface secure, Nadal still wants to win every tournament on it as desperately as ever. The surest sign of spring in tennis is the sight of Rafa bouncing back from whatever struggles he has endured over the course of the year and dominating again. Nothing in the last 14 years has dimmed that desire.
Nadal says each title in Monte Carlo has felt different. But you don’t reach La Décima without playing the same way—as if every match is your last, and every win is your first.
- By the numbers – Rafael Nadal’s record-breaking 10th Monte Carlos title | ESPN
- Monte-Carlo: David Goffin Presser | asapsports.com
Q. Did Rafa tell you anything?
DAVID GOFFIN: No. Rafa has nothing to do with this. He knows his forehand was heavy and long and deep. But he was on the other side of the court. He couldn’t do anything about it.
Rafa is one of the most fair players on the tour. He was just playing his match. I have nothing against him.
- King of Clay Rafael Nadal: Ten Monte-Carlo Titles | TennisTV
- The Story Of The 2017 Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters | ATP
- Funniest moments: Djokovic, Nadal, Goffin…and *that* bird! | TennisTV
- Nadal, Djokovic & Simon in Top Five Hot Shots – Highlights | TennisTV
- Hot Shot Countdown At Monte-Carlo 2017 | ATP