- Nadal undergoes stem cell treatment on his back (via Marca)
Rafael Nadal’s uncle and coach, Toni Nadal told the DPA news agency that the ATP world number three is undergoing stem cell treatment in an attempt to alleviate the back problems that have plagued him all season. “He’s had them for the past six months”, said Toni Nadal. “It’s stem cell treatment, and doing it properly requires five weeks”, he added when explaining why they did not take advantage of the three months between July and October. “Because we all thought that he’d play at the US Open, we were more focused on his wrist injury, which looked to be healing well”.
- Roger Federer: Reclaiming world no. 1 ranking ‘would be very special’ (via live-tennis.com)
‘I feel a special connection towards Rafa just because we did, I don’t want to say come up together somewhat on the tour, but we did have a very strong, intense rivalry for many years, starting 2004 maybe,’ Federer said, bringing up Rafael Nadal, who is absent from the World Tour Finals as he recovers from surgery on a troubled appendix. ‘Especially we played each other that many times in finals of slams, which hasn’t been the case with the other players as much. ‘I know Novak, the matches and the rivalry is nice. I really enjoy playing against him. It’s very evenly matched, you know. But I played him more often probably in semis than in finals most likely. I don’t know if that’s true, but that’s kind of how it felt like. Because me and Rafa were always 1 and 2 or 2 and 1 for so long.
- Nadal recurre a las células madre (via El Pais)
“A Rafael le duele la espalda desde que jugó en Australia, no se consiguió curar del todo”, explican fuentes que conocen al detalle su estado físico. “Le duele cuando saca y no se siente con libertad de movimientos”, añaden. Las células madre necesitan un periodo de tres semanas “para reproducirse y que se las puedan volver a inyectar”. El tratamiento, que también están empezando a utilizar futbolistas, es “doloroso”, y en el caso del número tres mundial incluye que se le practiquen dos aparatosos agujeros que le condenan a la inactividad durante cinco días.
- Will Rafael Nadal Ever Win the ATP World Tour Finals? (via bleacherreport.com)
We can never write off Nadal, and he could contend a couple more times at the WTF, but the best of his career is already in the rearview mirror.
- Rafael Nadal attends Olimpic vs. Viva Sports (via futbolbalear.es)
- Rafael Nadal Stars In New Telefonica Vivo Ad
- Rafael Nadal leaves hospital after surgery (via The Guardian)
- Nadal recibe el alta tras ser operado de apendicitis
- Toni Nadal transmite su experiencia a los más jóvenes en Valladolid – Intwerview with Uncle Toni – in Spanish (via cadenaser.com)