(AP) — Rafael Nadal won’t be able to play the Italian Open either as he remains hampered by a nagging hip injury.
“I’m sorry to announce that I won’t be able to be in Rome,” Nadal said in a Twitter post in Spanish on Friday. “You all know how much it hurts me to miss another one of the tournaments that has a place in my career as a professional and a person as well as for the support my Italian fans show me.”
Nadal has won the Italian Open a record 10 times.
The 22-time Grand Slam winner has been sidelined since January by a left hip flexor injury he picked up at the Australian Open. The issue had already kept him from playing at Indian Wells, Miami, Monte Carlo, Barcelona and Madrid.
Nadal said even though he feels better he is not ready to play.
“Despite noting an improvement in recent days, it has been several months since I have been able to train at a high level,” he wrote. “The re-adaptation process needs its time, and I don’t have any choice other than to accept that.”
The 36-year-old Nadal did not mention his prospects for being fit for the French Open starting on May 28.
To be honest it comes as no surprise that Rafa won’t be competing at RG and I think tomorrow’s announcement is a mere formality confirming that.
I don’t want to see Rafa enter the tournament cold if he’s not fully fit, then get bounced out early. I’d much rather that he takes his time and come back in better shape for the NA swing. Meanwhile, love and best wishes to the one and only King.
Yes I was wondering if he will be talking more about his future – hope it is not about retirement!!! Frankly I think he’s smart not to play Roland Garros if he’s not 100%. But if he continues to play (fingers crossed that he will) I’ll be curious to know what he’ll aim for and how they intend to deal with this lingering injury.
Rafa and his team have called a press conference for tomorrow at his Academy at 4pm local. Spanish media already announcing that he is not playing R.G. We’ll learn all the details soon.
Rafa can announce anything he wants, except retirement! I’m not emotionally equipped to deal with such a thing this week:)
Meanwhile congratulations to Rune who beat ‘Roof Guy’ in Rome today.
Mac, I don’t think Rafa will announce anything except the fact that he won’t be competing at RG.
Like you, I’m so pleased that Rune beat Djoko today. He deserved it, especially after that incorrect line call in the second set which was costly. In Rafa’s absence at RG, I’m really hoping that there will be a first time winner.
I see that Rafa has called a press conference for 4pm CET tomorrow. Unfortunately, I think this probably means that he won’t be playing in Paris, but we’ll have to wait and see.
Sorry setinthepast. Looks like we were posting at the same time. Strange that he isn’t announcing on Twitter as he usually does. No doubt he has already informed Amelie Mauresmo of his decision. I feel that he will be giving more news about his future beyond Roland Garros. All the best to Rafa and his family.