The draw was performed yesterday in New York City. World No. 2 Rafael Nadal has been drawn to face Australian John Millman in the first round of the US Open. He could meet another dangerous Aussie in Thanasi Kokkinakis in the second round and fellow Spanish lefty Fernando Verdasco in the third round. John Isner and former champion Marin Cilic are potential opponents for our champ in the fourth round.
If Rafa and Roger Federer finally are going to face each other at the U.S. Open for the first time in their long rivalry, it only could happen in the final.
If it falls per ranking, this would be Rafa’s path to the final:
- 1st round: John Millman
- 2nd round: Thanasi Kokkinakis
- 3rd round: Fernando Verdasco
- 4th round: John Isner
- Quarter-final: Alexander Zverev
- Semi-final: Dominic Thiem
- Final: Novak Djokovic or Roger Federer
If the men play to seed the quarter-final line up will be:
- Novak Djokovic vs Daniil Medvedev
- Roger Federer vs Kei Nishikori
- Stefanos Tsitsipas vs Dominic Thiem
- Alexander Zverev vs Rafael Nadal
Our champ is bidding to clinch a 18th grand slam title of his career and his fourth in the Big Apple.
Rafa, who has a 59-11 record in New York City, including the 2010, 2013 and 2017 crowns, has never lost in the first round of the US Open and last failed to get past the second round 14 years ago, when he lost to Andy Roddick in 2004.
The tournament starts on Monday.
GOOD LUCK & VAMOS RAFA!