Two-time champion Rafael Nadal faces his first serious test at Wimbledon 2017 when he meets left-hander Gilles Muller in the last 16 on Monday. The 16th seed, from Luxembourg, has won more matches (10) than any other player on grass this season. This is Rafa’s 36th appearance in the second week of a major, compared to three for Muller.
Date: July 10, 2017
Match time: Rafa is second on No. 1 Court. Around 3 PM local time / 10 AM EDT – New York, Montreal / 4 PM CET – Spain, France, Germany, Italy / midnight AEDT – Melbourne. To convert to your local time, use this website.
Rafa on playing Muller:
He’s one of the toughest opponents possible on this surface especially. It’s his best surface without a doubt. He has a great serve, a great volley. He play well from the baseline here.
So yeah, he’s a tough, tough opponent. At the same time we are in the round of 16. You cannot expect to have an easy opponents. So it is a very tough one because he played a lot on grass this year. Let’s see if I am amble to keep playing well.
- Rafa is bidding to reach the quarterfinals here for the first time since he finished runner-up in 2011.
- Rafa is facing a Top 30 opponent at Wimbledon for the first time since falling to No. 2 Djokovic in the 2011 final. Since then, he has faced just 3 Top 30 players on grass – defeating No. 24 Bernard Tomic, No. 16 Gael Monfils and No. 28 Viktor Troicki en route to winning the title at 2015 Stuttgart.
- Rafa has won 28 consecutive completed sets at the Grand Slams – equalling his own longest-streak of consecutive completed sets won, which stretched from the quarterfinals at 2010 Wimbledon through to the final at the 2010 US Open. Nadal has not dropped a set at a Grand Slam since falling to Roger Federer in 5 sets in the Australian Open Final.
- Rafa is also bidding to reach 3 straight Grand Slam quarterfinals for the first time since 2013-14 – when he won the title at the 2013 US Open, reached the final at the 2014 Australian Open and won the title at 2014 Roland Garros.
Muller beat Rafa at the All England Club in 2005, but Rafa got one back in 2011. Our champ has an overall 5-1 record against the big-serving man from Luxembourg.
|2016||ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Indian Wells
|Outdoor Hard||R64||Rafael Nadal||
62 26 64
|Outdoor Hard||R16||Rafael Nadal||
761 61 62
|Outdoor Grass||R32||Rafael Nadal||
766 765 60
|Outdoor Grass||R64||Gilles Muller||
64 46 63 64
|Outdoor Clay||R32||Rafael Nadal||
|QUALIFYING, CHALLENGER AND FUTURES MATCHES|
|Outdoor Hard||QF||Rafael Nadal||
26 75 63
- If Rafa wins he will play either No. 7 seed Marin Cilic or No. 18 seed Roberto Bautista Agut in the quarterfinals. He leads Cilic 4-1 and Bautista Agut 2-0 in their previous meetings.
GOOD LUCK & VAMOS RAFA!