The draw for the Barcelona tournament is out. Rafael Nadal will start his title defense by playing the winner of a match between Rogerio Dutra Silva (No. 70) and Renzo Olivo (No. 93).
Seeds in Rafa’s half include A. Zverev, Kolhschrieber, Ferrer, Goffin, Cuevas, Sousa and Nishikori. Seeds in the other half are A. Murray, F. Lopez, Ramos-Vinolas, Bautista Agut, Thiem, M. Zverev, Gasquet and Carreno Busta.
Rafa’s potential route to the final:
- 1st round: Bye
- 2nd round: Rogerio Dutra Silva or Renzo Olivo
- 3rd round: Philipp Kolhschrieber
- Quarter-final: Alexander Zverev
- Semi-final: Kei Nishikori
- Final: Andy Murray
- Andy Murray vs Roberto Bautista Agut
- Dominic Thiem vs Pablo Carreno Busta
- Alexander Zverev vs Rafael Nadal
- David Goffin vs Kei Nishikori
For Rafa this will be his 13th participation at the tournament, where he will play for his 10th title. During Rafa’s 12 appearances in the City of Barcelona, he has compiled a 49-3 record.
UPDATED: Kei Nishikori has been forced to withdraw from the tournament due to a right wrist injury. Frenchman Benoit Paire will take his spot in the draw.
Source: ATP World Tour