- Nadal/Lopez Reach Stuttgart Doubles Quarters (via ATP World Tour)
Playing in his first grass-court match of the year with doubles partner Feliciano Lopez, Rafael Nadal overcame an early challenge from Rameez Junaid and Adil Shamasdin to move into the quarter-finals of the MercedesCup. They will face Juan Sebastian Cabal and Robert Farah in the quarter-finals after the Colombians edged Lukas Rosol and Dominic Thiem 7-6(5), 7-6(5).
- Rafael Nadal: I can get back to the top (via CNN)
Nadal admitted that he paid little attention to the final but he labeled as Wawrinka one of the fiercest competitors on tour. “I didn’t watch the match, I was practicing,” he said. “I watched a few games. “But obviously Wawrinka is a player that if you’re not able to let him play from the tough positions and if he’s playing well, I think he’s a player that hits the ball with more power on the tour. “It’s tough to stop him, it’s tough to have the control of the match against him. I think Wawrinka is a player that can create winners from everywhere. “When he’s playing well, he’s one of the best players in the world and he’s dangerous for everybody.”
Getting his feet on the grass as soon as possible isn’t a new scheduling choice for Rafael Nadal. How many times have we seen him practicing in Halle or Queen’s Club less than 24 hours after hoisting one of his nine French Open trophies? This year he got a few days rest after losing in the quarterfinals in Paris, but he’s back on grass as the top seed in Stuttgart this week.
- Grass Season Begins: Nadal Headlines Stuttgart, Hewitt Returns (via ATP World Tour)
Top seed Nadal is making his ninth grass-court tournament appearance after Roland Garros. The nine-time Roland Garros champion (70-2 record) comes into Stuttgart after his 39-match winning streak in Paris was snapped by Novak Djokovic in the quarter-finals. He has a 53-15 career record on grass (.779) with three titles.
“I must improve my level of tennis, my intensity on the court,” Nadal said on Monday. “If I can do that I’m confident that I can return to my best level.”
- Emirates ATP Rankings Update 9 June 2015 (via ATP World Tour)
- Rafael Nadal begins preparations for Mercedes cup (via The Guardian)
- Stuttgart 2015 Monday Interview with Rafael Nadal
- Stuttgart 2015 Sunday Rafael Nadal Training
- The 2015 French Open Grunts Set to Music (The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon)