For Nadal, it was his first match since October, when he lost to Borna Coric in Basel and subsequently cut his season short because of appendix surgery. Wearing the same outfit he donned at the Swiss Indoors, Nadal appeared to have trouble hitting through Murray—usually a criticism of his opponent—while the Scot generated ample pace off both wings.
“6-2 6-0 is too much — I had a lot of chances to have a closer result,” he added. “I have to improve, that’s obvious, and I’m going to improve. This match helps me and the defeat does not affect me too much. “I felt I was dominating the points a lot of times, but I am missing competitive spirit. I am going to keep working hard.”
- Humbled Rafael Nadal insists he will improve with more matches (via gulfnews.com)
“This was not the best start possible against a tough rival in Andy Murray,” the 28-year-old, who was also blighted by wrist injuries before his appendectomy, said. “But there are only small things I need to adjust. “At the beginning, I played very badly with my backhand, but that is normal after a long time out, and could not get my normal rhythm. I was also a little bit more tired than usual.”
- 2015 Preview: ATP No. 3, Rafael Nadal (via tennis.com)
If Nadal can stay healthy through the Australian Open, his largely idle end of 2014 may turn out to be an asset. He’s still got a good game for the courts in Melbourne, and a 10th French Open would not be just a possibility but a probability.
- Rafael Nadal not expecting miracles ahead of MWTC opener against Andy Murray (via sport360.com)
“Every year we have the same question especially when I have injuries,” the ex-world No1 said. “But I try to make the schedule that is right for me, is right for my tennis, is right for my body. Sometimes you have accidents you can’t predict.”
- Nadal loses to Murray in Abu Dhabi
- Rafael Nadal visits the MAPFRE Volvo Ocean Race boat in Abu Dhabi
- Rafael Nadal At Abu Dhabi Press Conference
- Rafael Nadal signs autographs for gans in Abu Dhabi
AUDIO: Abu Dhabi: Rafael Nadal’s press conference (via Brian Murgatroyd)
- Full Match: Nadal v Murray – Abu Dhabi (via Tennis HD2)
- Highlights: Nadal v Murray – Abu Dhabi (via Tennis HD2)
- Nadal after MWTC loss: ‘I will improve, I’m sure of that’ (via Sport 360)
- Rafael Nadal #TheNewMove (via Babolat)
- Rafael Nadal Practicing In Abu Dhabi (via stevegtennis)
- Rafa Nadal pre-tournament press conference in Abu Dhabi (via Jonathan Raymond)
- Nadal gears up for Aussie Open – press conference (via The Globe and Mail)
- Rafa Nadal trades court for sea for a day in Abu Dhabi (via Tennis IDENTITY)
REMINDER: Have you voted in the Rafael Nadal Fans Awards yet? Thank you!
What was your favorite Facebook picture of Rafa? Vote here!
What was Rafael Nadal’s best match of 2014? Vote here!
What was Rafael Nadal’s best tournament of 2014? Vote here!
What was your favourite off-court outfit? Vote here!
What was your favorite on court outfit? Vote here!