Rafael Nadal is, to say the least, not just the World No.1 tennis player. He also has the looks and body of a model, and the smile of an angel; naturally, the camera loves him, just as much as we do. The expressions captured in his pictures are priceless, and they will forever remind us of this incredible year. We couldn’t narrow the choices down to just a handful of photos from 2013, so we gave you 73 to pick from. Only one can be the picture of the year. That’s a tough choice. What will you pick?
You can VOTE HERE until December 15, 2013!
Photos via RNF’s Facebook. All images are copyrighted by their respective authors.
Rafael Nadal was back on the golf course this past weekend, this time to help kick off the Corporate Golf Cup Ultima Hora at Golf Park Mallorca Puntiró. It was good to see Rafa donning his golf glove, instead of just playing caddy. Here are some pictures from the event, which is set to continue later this month.
Photos: Corporate Golf Cup’s Facebook
- Ranking the Greatest ATP Seasons (via Tennis Now)
… Rafael Nadal’s 2013 season ranks among the top 10 best individual seasons in the ATP’s Open Era. See which other players posted phenomenal years based on our statistical formula.
- Rafa Nadal recibe el primer Kia pro_cee`d GT (via kiakonnect.com)
… Rafa Nadal ha recibido hoy en Mallorca de manos de Mr.Kyung Hyeon Kim, presidente de Kia Motors Iberia, laprimera unidad del nuevo Kia pro_cee´d GT… El mejor coche para el mejor deportista español de la Historia.
- Soccer Legends Set To Join Rafael Nadal In Prague For His First Live Poker Tournament (via thepostgame.com)
… ”Ronaldo has always been a hero of mine and I’m looking forward to taking him on at the poker table,” Nadal said in a statement. “There are many similarities between sport and poker strategy, so it will be good to see how he translates his game from the football field to the poker felt.”
… El músico Rafa Nadal Abuelo del famoso tenista recibe en Mallorca un merecido homenaje junto al también músico Serafí Guiscafré.
- Go Figure: Tennis year by the numbers (via SI.com)
… 8: French Open titles for Rafael Nadal, the first man to win that many titles at any Grand Slam tournament. The eighth came in June.
- Nadal Competes For The Good Hand Project (via The Slice)
- Reading the Readers: Dec. 3 – by Steve Tignor (via tennis.com)
… exhibitions are not like tournaments; they’re not even like tour matches. They’re something like practice sets, and you wouldn’t think it was wrong for a player to get in a practice set during the off-season, would you?
- 2013 BTB Awards: They said it (via SI.com)
… “Don’t worry. I will lose. Everybody lose.”– Rafael Nadal, after winning his first 22 matches on hard courts this season. The streak ended at 26 with a loss to Novak Djokovic at the China Open.
- Players Pay Tribute To Mandela (via ATP)
- There’s so much to learn from Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer: Sibling tennis players Alexey and Xeniya Prokopchuk (via dnaindia.com)
- Rafael Nadal hosts pro-am with Jose Maria Olazabal (via cbssports.com)
- Raquette d’Or ATP: Vote for Rafa!
- BTB Awards: Memorable reaction photos (via SI.com)
- 2013 BTB Awards: Offbeat photos (via SI.com)
- BTB Awards: Memorable action photos (via SI.com)
- El número uno, también en Twitter: ESPN Redes premió a Rafael Nadal por ser el tenista con más seguidores en la red social.
- Una acción de Realidad Aumentada tan grande como un edificio
Reminder: The Rafa Awards – Keep voting!
December 5, 2013 will go down in history as the day that Nelson Mandela passed away. The 95 year-old statesman, who leaves behind a legacy of courage, peace, and perseverance, was unparalleled in his strife for humanity and his fight to end apartheid, but did share something with our own Rafael Nadal. John Carlin, the co-author of Rafael Nadal’s autobiography, also penned that of Nelson Mandela’s. This article, an interview with Carlin, was published in Marca in 2011.
MARCA: You wrote the biography of Nelson Mandela and [also] of Rafael Nadal. What are the parallels between these two figures?
JOHN CARLIN: ”There are more things that divide them than unite them, but they are two globally known characters who have achieved excellence in their respective fields and have shown tremendous discipline, ambition, rigor and energy that they have invested in achieving their goals. In both books there is also a clearly outstanding epic sports moment, which in the case of Rafa’s is the Wimbledon final in 2008 against Roger Federer. It can be said that there are certain connections between these two characters.”
Mandela was an ardent supporter of sports and saw it as a way to unify people. Rafa follows that very principle in his foundation, where he uses sports to help integrate marginalized and discriminated children and teens. Rafa tweeted his condolences earlier in the day.
“Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again.” Rest in peace, Nelson Mandela. We were fortunate to have lived in your time.
You can read the entire interview, about Carlin’s experience with Rafa, here. (in Spanish)
Nelson Mandela, the revered leader who ended apartheid in South Africa and led a multi-racial democracy in the state, passed away on December 5, 2013. World leaders, celebrities, sportsmen and others reacted to his passing via social media, paying their respects and expressing their sorrow. Rafael Nadal expressed his condolences via these tweets:
- Review of Tennis 2013 (via ESPN)
- ATP player of 2013: ‘Nothing is perfect’, but Rafael Nadal came close (via The Sport Review)
… “If you don’t feel that you can improve, you know nothing about life, because nothing is perfect in this life. You can improve always in every way… But if you keep improving, doesn’t mean you will win more. The only thing I am sure of is I will try.”
- World number one tennis player Rafa Nadal to face Brazilian football legend Ronaldo in charity poker tournament (via Poker Stars Blog)
World number one tennis player Rafa Nadal revealed today that he will take on Brazilian footballing legend Ronaldo at a live charity poker tournament taking place on December 12, 2013 as part of the European Poker Tour (EPT) Prague poker festival.
- Nadal the globetrotter (via Marca)
… Though Rafael Nadal will be resting in his hometown of Manacor until 9th December, when he is set to start pre-season training following the growth factor injections he had in his knees last week, the Mallorcan ace and his team have already drawn up his 2014 schedule.
- Nadal Commits To Play Copa Claro (via ATP)
… “I am really happy to return to Buenos Aires,” said Nadal. “I look forward to coming back to Argentina and share a great week of tennis with the Argentine fans.”
- This infographic allows you to explore Rafael Nadal’s 600+ games since his comeback on Feb. 5, 2013. (via gamesetmap.com)
- Biggest Upsets Of 2013: Top 5 (via ATP)
- Ranking the Best Left-Handed Tennis Players of the Modern Era (via Bleacher Report)
- Rafa Nadal realiza su revisión en la Clínica Salud 4 de MAPFRE en Barcelona (via salaprensa.mapfre.com)
- Quick Hits (via The Slice)
- Meet The Spaniard Who Won More Tennis Matches Than Rafael Nadal This Year (via Forbes)
- Tennis wishes for 2014; more mail (via SI.com)
- Report: Nadal earned $10 million for South American exos (via tennis.com)
- The Hunger to Win: Profile of Rafael Nadal (via thebestyoumagazine.com)
- La RFET Premia A La Fundación Rafa Nadal (via fundacionrafanadal.org)
- “After a time when I was unable to go, this year I’m going to return to the Buenos Aires tournament and I’m excited to play the Copa Claro again,” Nadal said in a video shown at the news conference.
- Rafa Nadal discovers his perfect Mocktail using MixLab
- Rafa’s New Game – Episode 2 Learning Poker Hands
- Rafael Nadal dando toques con una pelota de tenis
- Rafael Nadal jugando al Ping Pong contra su hermano con los ojos cerrados
- Los Relojes Richard Mille De Rafael Nadal Y Natalie Portman
- El Cuento De Nadal: Érase una vez el mejor tenista del mundo, érase una lesión en la rodilla… El cuento del regreso de Rafa Nadal, de un año 2013 inolvidable para él.
- Rafael Nadal and his girlfriend Maria Francisca Perello
- Golfing World: An Interview With Rafael Nadal (+ video)