The draw was performed today in New York City. World No. 3 Rafael Nadal has been drawn to face Australia’s wildcard Rinky Hijikata in the first round of the US Open. He could meet No. 32 seed Miomir Kecamonivuc in the third round, 14th-seeded Diego Schwartzman in the fourth round and seventh seed Cameron Norrie in the quarterfinals.
If it falls per ranking, this would be Rafa’s path to the final:
- 1st round: Rinky Hijikata
- 2nd round: Aslan Karatsev
- 3rd round: Miomir Kecmanovic
- 4th round: Diego Schwartzman
- Quarter-final: Cameron Norrie
- Semi-final: Carlos Alcaraz
- Final: Daniil Medvedev
If the men play to seed the quarter-final line up will be:
- Daniil Medvedev vs Felix Auger-Aliassime
- Stefanos Tsitsipas vs Casper Ruud
- Hubert Hurkacz vs Carlos Alcaraz
- Cameron Norrie vs Rafael Nadal
Rafa will be competing in his first U.S. Open since 2019 and all eyes will be on our champ as he seeks his 23rd Grand Slam title. He enters the year’s final Grand Slam in pole position in the battle for World No. 1. The four-time US Open champion controls his own destiny as he tries to return to the top spot. If he lifts the trophy, he will climb to the top of men’s tennis’ mountain.
Missing from the drawing is Novak Djokovic, who announced his absence from the U.S. Open via Twitter. He is unvaccinated and current U.S. rules require that any non-U.S. citizen must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to receive a visa to enter the country.
The tournament starts on Monday.
GOOD LUCK & VAMOS RAFA!