Singles draw for the Western & Southern Open, the seventh ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event of the season, was made on Friday.
Rafael Nadal will compete at the Western & Southern Open for the first time since 2017. He has done very well in Cincinnati – winning there in 2013. He has also reached another two semifinals (2008 and 2009) and another four quarterfinals (2006, 2010, 2011 and 2017).
Our champ will face Borna Coric or a qualifier in his first match. He could meet either Felix Auger-Aliassime or Jannik Sinner in the quarterfinals.
Rafa’s potential route to the final:
- First round: Bye
- Second round: Borna Coric
- Third round: Roberto Bautista Agut or Francisco Cerundolo
- Quarter-final: Felix Auger-Aliassime or Jannik Sinner
- Semi-final: Carlos Alcaraz or Casper Ruud
- Final: Daniil Medvedev
If the men play to seed the quarter-final line up will be:
- Daniil Medvedev vs Andrey Rublev
- Stefanos Tsitsipas v Hubert Hurkacz
- Casper Ruud vs Carlos Alcaraz
- Felix Auger-Aliassime vs Rafael Nadal
Rafa could pass Danill Medvedev at the top of the ATP Rankings if he wins the Cincinnati title and the Russian fails to reach the quarterfinals. He will be seeking his fifth title of the 2022 season as he looks to improve upon his stellar 35-3 record on the year.
GOOD LUCK & VAMOS RAFA!