Singles draw for the Western & Southern Open, the seventh ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event of the season, was made on Friday.
If Rafael Nadal decides to play in Cincinnati, he will kick off his campaign against Chilean Cristian Garin or Frenchman Adrian Mannarino. He could meet No. 16 seed David Goffina, a qualifier, Taylor Fritz or Guido Pella in the third round, with a possible quarter-final clash against sixth seed Kei Nishikori also lurking.
Rafa’s potential route to the final:
- First round: Bye
- Second round: Cristian Garin
- Third round: David Goffin
- Quarter-final: Kei Nishikori
- Semi-final: Alexander Zverev or Dominic Thiem
- Final: Novak Djokovic or Roger Federer
If the men play to seed the quarter-final line up will be:
- Novak Djokovic vs Karen Khachanov
- Roger Federer vs Stefanos Tsitsipas
- Alexander Zverev vs Dominic Thiem
- Kei Nishikori vs Rafael Nadal
Our champ will make a decision about Cincinnati after Montreal:
Depending on what happens in Montreal, I’ll take a decision on Cincinnati. Cincinnati is still an option. I have one thing very clear though and it is that I want to arrive well prepared and ready for the US Open, the last major of the season.
Rafa was the tournament winner in Cincinnati in 2013.
Good luck, Rafa!