After reaching semi-final in Barcelona, Rafael Nadal continues his clay court season at the second ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event on clay in 2019, the Mutua Madrid Open. He will look to add to his record haul of five titles in Madrid and 33 at ATP Masters 1000 tournaments.
Rafa is No. 2 seed and has a first-round bye. He will open his campaign at La Caja Mágica against the winner of the match between Felix Auger Aliassime and Denis Shapovalov. Our champ could face Daniil Medvedev in the third round, prior to a quarter-final against Kei Nishikori.
Rafa’s potential route to the final:
- 1st round: Bye
- 2nd round: Felix Auger Aliassime or Denis Shapovalov
- 3rd round: Nikoloz Basilashvili
- Quarter-final: Kei Nishikori
- Semi-final: Alexander Zverev
- Final: Novak Djokovic
- Novak Djokovic v Juan Martin Del Potro
- Dominic Thiem v Roger Federer
- Alexander Zverev v Stefanos Tsitsipas
- Rafael Nadal Nadal v Kei Nishikori
Rafa has won a clay-court title in each of the past 15 seasons dating back to his first victory in Sopot in 2004, and he is trying to capture his first trophy of 2019 after semi-final showings in Monte-Carlo and Barcelona.
Source: ATP Tour