- Nadal Ready For A Fight In Melbourne | ATP World Tour
The last time Rafael Nadal and Fernando Verdasco met at the Australian Open, in 2009, the two Spanish lefties left it all on the court. The underdog Verdasco struck 95 winners, but Nadal battled for five hours and 14 minutes before securing an epic 6-7(4), 6-4, 7-6(2), 6-7(1), 6-4 semi-final victory. Less than 48 hours later, Nadal would defeat Roger Federer for his lone Australian Open title to date.
“Obviously that match gave me the chance to win the only Australian Open that I have won,” Nadal said. “It was an unforgettable memory for me. I think the level of tennis was fantastic. There were some spectacular points. Many people always ask me about that match. It was a tough one, but a great experience.”
- Australian Open 2016: Rafael Nadal ready for a better campaign in Melbourne | The Sydney Morning Herald
“In the end, being a sport star, you’re only a sport star, you are nothing else in the world,” he said. “Around the world there are people doing something much better that what you are doing, the only thing that you are doing better than others is play tennis, that’s all.”
Nadal refused to criticise the circus that is the world tennis circuit.
“I like my life, I feel very happy and a very lucky person, having a chance to enjoy this life,” he said. “It would not be nice if someone with the good luck that I’m having would say that I am tired about what I’m doing.”
- Rafa’s Renaissance | Tennis Now Magazine
He’s serving with more authority and playing big points with more aggression. More importantly, the will to win has never wavered. With the heart of champion still beating, Nadal’s time is bound to come. It may not be here yet, but it is surely coming.
- Pau Gasol garners All-Star support from Rafael Nadal, Enrique Iglesias | Chicago Tribune
If Bulls center Pau Gasol is voted to the NBA All-Star Game February in Toronto, he’ll have a few of his fellow Spaniards to thank. Using the hashtag #NBAvote, tennis Star Rafael Nadal and singer Enrique Iglesias took to Twitter to voice their support for Gasol.
- Rafael Nadal’s Sunday Practice In Melbourne
- Rafael Nadal Shines At Australian Open Player Party
- Rafael Nadal attends Cosentino event in Melbourne | Cosentino Australia