- Djokovic, Nadal Cruise Into Doha QFs | ATP World Tour
Nadal improved to 21-6 at the ATP World Tour 500 tournament with a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Robin Haase and will meet Andrey Kuznetsov on Thursday.
“I played at a very high level against a good opponent today,” Nadal said. “My serve was a little bit worse than yesterday, but in general I am happy with the victory and my level of tennis. I hit my returns with a lot of confidence.”
- Nadal Shreds Haase in Doha | Tennis Now
Nadal was nearly untouchable on serve, winning 15 of 19 points played on his first serve and seven of nine second-serve points in the set.
Haase did not play poorly; he served 70 percent, hit eight aces and attacked his shots. But Nadal drove the ball deep giving his opponent little to work with and when he wasn’t running Haase wide, Nadal was feasting on his second serve. He won 10 of 14 points played on Haase’s second serve.
“No, I am serious on court, but outside of the court I am not much serious. I like to enjoy life in general, and I think I’m a hard worker. But at the same time I know how to enjoy my life. The tennis is a very important part of my life, for sure, but is not everything.
And having the right people around me, I receive what I think the right education when I was a kid, the right values. You can be a great athlete or without great values or great education, but I think is easier if you have the right education.”
- Doha: Novak. Rafa. Tomas. The Top-3 Advance | Andy Taylor Online
It took awhile for fans to settle on match point. Attempting to serve it out, Nadal was interrupted by several “Vamos Rafa!”‘s, forcing him to reset. The final “vamos!” actually came from Haase on the other side of the net. Funny guy.
PHOTOS: Rafa Reaches QFs In Doha
- Qatar Open R2 – Full Match: Rafael Nadal vs Robin Haase | Nadal Tribute
- Qatar Open – Highlights: Rafael Nadal vs Robin Haase | Nadal Power
- Stars Launch 2016 ATP World Tour
- Qatar Open R1 – Full Match: Rafael Nadal vs Pablo Carreño Busta | Nadal Tribute