- Wawrinka, on a Wild Parisan Night, Downs Nadal (via Tennis Now)
A caffeinated Wawrinka rallied from a break down in the opener after a courtside coffee, then saved three set points in a tense tiebreaker before saving another three in the second-set breaker to slip past Rafael Nadal in two rollicking sets, 7-6(8), 7-6(7).
- The Other Side of Paris (via tennis.com)
Nadal hasn’t had his best season by a long a shot, but he may have had his best fall since 2005. Normally, Rafa is spent or injured, by this point in the year; since ’05, he won just one title, in Tokyo in 2010, after the U.S. Open. But while he hasn’t won any events this fall, either, he has shown signs of improvement on his least favorite surface, indoor hard courts.
Rafa’s game could go away again; he’s played a lot of tennis over the last two weeks, and by the time you read this, he may have lost to Wawrinka. But seeing a little of the magic of old, it made me wonder about the effects that age has had on Nadal. Maybe next year we’ll look back and realize that age didn’t lower his top level, so much as it simply slowed his return to it.
- ‘A fit Rafa still Novak’s toughest opponent’ (via The Times of India)
Referring to Nadal’s injury-plagued end to 2014 which saw him miss the US Open and the ATP World Tour Finals, Corretja said: “When you don’t play for a while, you are bound to lose rhythm and you have some doubts. But when he’s healthy, he’s still perhaps the strongest guy on the tour. I understand Novak is playing at an amazing level at the moment. But the toughest opponent Novak can have is a Rafa in good condition. And I believe he is going to be ready to win Slams again in 2016.”
- Rafael Nadal loses in Paris Masters quarter-finals
- Un vendredi au #BNPPM (quarts de finale) (via BNP Paribas Masters)
- Rafael Nadal speaks after his defeat by Stan Wawrinka at Paris Masters (via TennisActu.net)
- 2015 BNP Paribas Masters Paris – Quarter Finals feat Nadal, Djokovic, Murray (via TennisTV)
- Something Big Is Coming To The ATP (via ATP World Tour)
- Give Your Game Extra POP! (via Babolat)