- Nadal outclasses Berdych in Madrid (via ATP World Tour)
A thunderous forehand winner at 1-1 in the second game gave Nadal his second break of serve. He broke Berdych for a 5-2 lead and finished with his fourth ace of the match, which lasted 88 minutes.
- Racquet Reaction – Madrid: Nadal d. Berdych (via Tennis.com)
As usual, Rafa survived the scare with some expert defense, got a grip on the rallies with his forehand, and never let go. That shot had been letting him down of late, but today he fired 16 winners with it, enough to beat Berdych 6-4, 6-2 and end, at least for this afternoon, any talk of a decline on dirt.
Ambos jugadores exhibieron solidez en un partido que desequilibró Nadal justo cuando pudo llegar su peor momento. Sacó entonces su magia el número uno del tenis mundial y logró una solvente victoria ante el número seis, al que Nadal ha ganado 18 veces, las últimas 17 de forma consecutiva.
- Nadal’s honourable week in Madrid (via ATP World Tour)
A review of the weeks’s charity and goodwill efforts at the tournament.
- Nadal puts his claycourt problems behind him as he reaches 1st semifinal of European swing (via Sportskeeda)
Nadal finished with 24 winners and converted 3 out of 5 break points he earned. Berdych’s losing streak against Nadal continued, but it wasn’t for lack of trying. The King of Clay can’t be suppressed for too long.
- Rafael Nadal is back to bullish best in Madrid defeat of Tomas Berdych (via The Guardian)
Perhaps Nadal had heard the news that Novak Djokovic was determined to be in the draw for the Rome Masters on Monday and the competitive juices began to flow more freely. Or maybe he is just human.
- Rafael Nadal Clay Crisis Over? Rafa Form Back in Madrid, in Time for French Open (via Sports World News)
The reports of Rafael Nadal’s clay-court demise may have been premature…The top-ranked Nadal now has lost a total of 12 games in three matches in Madrid as he gets set to face Roberto Bautista Agut in the semifinals.
- Rafael Nadal Madrid Open QF Interview – I played my best match today
- ATP Mutua Madrid 2014 highlights: Rafael Nadal vs. Tomas Berdych
- Rafael Nadal nearly does himself an unusual injury
- An Interview with Rafael Nadal: Madrid Open Press Conference – Nadal defeats Monaco
no doubt rafa is the greatest clay court player!!!#true
— Tomáš Berdych (@tomasberdych) May 9, 2014
Photos: Mutua Madrid Open. Rafael Nadal, Christopher Levy (@tennis_shots)