- Rafael Nadal cashes in with controversial new International Premier Tennis League (via telegraph.co.uk)
… Nadal is believed to be earning $1m (£600,000) a night for his contribution as one of the “marquee” players in a scheme developed by Mahesh Bhupathi, the Indian doubles player who is branching out into the world of business. According to the ground rules, players who have been No 1 or who have won a slam will be able to nominate which matches they play, and so avoid.
- 10 Things That Have Happened Since Rafa Last Lost a Semifinal on Clay (via tennisnow.com)
… let’s take a look at some events that have occurred, both in tennis and out, since Rafael Nadal dropped his last clay-court semifinal in July of 2003 (a 6-4, 6-4 loss to Carlos Moya in Umag).
- The Expectations Game (via tennis.com)
… Humanly Inhuman: it isn’t true that Nadal is unbeatable on clay, whatever his record on the surface may be. He has off-days, on dirt or any other type of court, just like everyone else. In another sense, though, this makes his clay-court record that much more impressive. He’s the King of Clay, but he isn’t Superman.
… It wasn’t the usual romp to the title that we’re used to seeing from Nadal, but it was the week he needed, competing in his first tournament since losing the Australian Open final. Playing with with supportive tape on his back, which he injured in Melbourne, the top-ranked Nadal defeated No. 54 Alexandr Dolgopolov 6-3, 7-6 (3) to win the inaugural Rio Open and collect his 62nd career title.
- Rafa Nadal, el tenista más efectivo de la historia del tenis (via 20minutos.es)
… … De los 804 encuentros que ha jugado se ha impuesto en 674, el 83,8%. Nadal lidera el ránking de victorias-derrotas de la historia de la ATP por encima del sueco Björn Borg, con 82,7% (609 triunfos -127 derrotas) y del estadounidense Jimmy Connors, con 81,7% (1243-277).
- Una bella recogepelotas brasileña cautivó a Rafa Nadal en el ATP 500 de Río (via mundodeportivo.com)