- Amazing year makes Rafa slam-dunk POY (via ESPN)
… He has improved not only his position in the record books, but also his game. His forehand down the line has continued to develop, and he played more assertively at the baseline, making more forays to net and even employing an aggressive backhand slice during stretches.
- Most Memorable Tennis Match for Each Year of Federer-Nadal-Djokovic Era (via bleacherreport.com)
… 2013 was another year of tennis dominance for Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic. These two champions have continued an astonishing decade of excellence that began with Roger Federer’s greatness.
- Never give up! (via Pat Cash’s Google+)
… Nadal’s determination and “never give up” attitude is one of the things that makes him such a formidable player. Fighting for every point places enormous pressure on the opponent and forces them to go for shots outside their comfort zone which often results errors.
- Brooklyn Based Painter Brendan Murphy Teams Up With Rafa Nadal, Richard Branson, to Raise $35,000 for Charity (via brendanmurphyart.com)
… Signed by Rafa Nadal and Brendan Murphy, the 24 x 36 inch prints on canvas fused the energy of art and tennis, as Murphy captured Nadal’s signature swing in his personal brand of contemporary portraiture. The prints alone raised $35,000, with all proceeds going to the Rafa Nadal Foundation – providing educational and athletic programs to underprivileged youths in India and Spain. Attendees such as Rafa Nadal, Mike Bryan, Ana Ivanovic, Boris Becker, Outback founder Tim Gannon, and Google CEO Larry Page, closed out the evening with a private island concert by Jimmy Buffet.
- If not Rafael Nadal, then who would win player of the year? (via ESPN)
- Review of Tennis 2013 (via ESPN)
- Quick Hits (via The Slice)
- Rafael Nadal hosts Golf event with Jose Maria Olazabal (via sport.co.uk)
… Speaking of Tiger, Nadal says he looks up to him when he plays. “I take my cue from Tiger Woods. From start to finish, I barely say a word to my rivals; I certainly don’t compliment them on a good shot. They complain, they get angry with me, curse me for my rudeness. They say I’m more aggressive even than I am on the tennis court. The difference between me and my friends, some of whom are much better golfers than I am (I have a handicap of 11), is that I just don’t see the point of playing a sport unless you’re giving it your all.”
- Looking ahead to 2014: Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and a player to be named later (via oregonlive.com)
- 2013 BNP Paribas Open – Fan Awards – Part 1 (via bnpparibasopenblog.com)
- 2013 BTB Awards: Year in wackiness (via SI.com)
- CNN: Fernando Verdasco on his rise to success, Andy Murray, DC, Rafael Nadal
- Revista Remix 198 Rafel Nadal Summer 2014
- Lleyton Hewitt talks about Rafa Nadal