… Rafael Nadal will finish No. 1 for the first time since 2010 if:
– he has any result that is equal or better than Novak Djokovic OR
– the Serb loses in the final and Nadal reaches the semi-finals OR
– Nadal wins the title.
- Rafa silences Jerzy: Rafael Nadal battles past last year’s finalist for a place in the BNP Paribas Masters quarter-finals (via ATP)
- Toni Nadal, The Man Behind Rafa (via Tennis View Magazine)
… “Even though it is just a small village, it is a good school,” he says. “Before Rafael, I had one player who was No. 2 in Spain until he was 12 and another one – a girl – who was No. 6. And some more guys who were very good in Spain until they were 14. When Rafael played, he was No. 1 in Spain, and I had another one who was No. 8, so it was good for them because they could push each other.”
“Rod Laver won the calendar Grand Slam twice,” he explains. “He should be regarded as the best, or one of the best, but people have short memories. They forget the older players, and one day, they will forget Federer too and the same with Djokovic or Nadal. Right now, when you look back through history, Rod Laver is right at the top and Bjorn Borg too I think.”
- Throwback Thursday: ATP Finals Group Pictures (via The Slice)
… The final eight for the 2013 ATP World Tour Finals is set. Just today, Stan Wawrinka and Richard Gasquet booked their spots to join Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, David Ferrer, Juan Martin del Potro, Tomas Berdych and Roger Federer in London. Definitely looking forward to next week’s event, but let’s take a look back on the finals of the past, including those fabulous group photos.
- BNP Paribas Masters 2013 Results: Top Stars Who Will Continue to Shine (via bleacherreport.com)
- Race to London 2013: Latest Rankings, Standings and Top Players (via bleacherreport.com)
- Photos from the tournament’s Facebook page
- Rafael Nadal defeats Jerzy Janowicz to advance to Quarterfinals