French newspaper L’Equipe predicts the Top 10 in the Emirates ATP Rankings in 2018. Notable inclusions are Benoit Paire at No. 2 and American Jack Sock at No. 10, while a notable exclusion is Rafael Nadal, who will be aged 31 in five years’ time. With problems with his knee plaguing him for the better part of last year, and a style of play that exacerbates impact injuries, can Rafa keep going at his current pace and sustain a high rank? Those are questions to keep in mind as we look at the predicted list of top ATP players in the next 5 years.
Predicted 2018 Rank/Age & 2013 Rank
1. Grigor Dimitrov (Age 22; Rank 28)
2. Benoit Paire (Age 24; Rank 26)
3. Andy Murray (Age 26; Rank 2)
4. Milos Raonic (Age 22; Rank 16)
5. Novak Djokovic (Age 26; Rank 1)
6. Kei Nishikori (Age 23; Rank 15)
7. Bernard Tomic (Age 20; Rank 61)
8. Ernests Gulbis (Age 24; Rank 40)
9. Jerzy Janowicz (Age 22; Rank 23)
10. Jack Sock (Age 20; Rank 118)
Although no one can predict the future, predictions such as these are often a wake up call for players (and their fans), to not take their time and opportunities for granted. One should also bear in mind that these predictions are often the opinions of the person or team that presents them. Who would have thought that Rafa would return from his time off to win 6 titles this year?
What do you think, Rafa Fans? How long will Rafa be able to play and do you see him in the top 10 in 5 years from now? Post your comments below.