The draw for the Mexican Open has been released and Rafael Nadal will face fellow Spaniard Feliciano Lopez in the opening round.
The world No. 2 should get through that, and set up a second round meeting with either Thanasi Kokkinakis or qualifier.
Rafa could face last year’s champion Sam Querrey in the quarterfinals.
Rafa’s potential route to the final:
- 1st round: Feliciano Lopez
- 2nd round: Thanasi Kokkinakis
- Quarter-final: Sam Querrey
- Semi-final: Jack Sock or Kevin Anderson
- Final: Alexander Zverev
- Rafael Nadal vs Sam Querrey
- Jack Sock vs Kevin Anderson
- Juan Martin del Potro vs Dominic Thiem
- John Isner vs Alexander Zverev
The 500-level tournament is played on outdoor hard courts.
Rafa is 14-1 in Acapulco, winning the title twice: first, when it was held on clay in 2005 and then again in 2013. Last year, our champ didn’t drop a set en route to the final, but he was edged by Querrey in the final, 6-3 7-6 (3).
GOOD LUCK AND VAMOS RAFA!