Rome Masters 2016 Draw Announced: Rafael Nadal faces tricky route to the final

The Internaznioli BNL D’Italia, otherwise known as the Rome Masters, draw is out, and here are the results. Rafael Nadal is seeded No.5 and has a bye in the first round. In the second round, our champ will play either Philipp Kohlschreiber or a qualifier.

Rafa could face Novak Djokovic in the quarter-finals as he hunts his eighth Rome Masters title. He is in the same side of the draw at the Italian Open as Roger Federer.

AFP PHOTO / TIZIANA FABI
AFP PHOTO / TIZIANA FABI

Projected quarterfinals:

  • Novak Djokovic vs Rafael Nadal
  • Roger Federer vs Kei Nishikori
  • Jo-Wilfried Tsonga vs Stan Wawrinka
  • Tomas Berdych vs Andy Murray

Rafa’s potential route to the final:

  • Round 1: Bye
  • Round 2: Philipp Kohlschreiber 
  • Round 16: Milos Raonic or Nick Kyrgios
  • Quarter Final: Novak Djokovic
  • Semi Final: Roger Federer 
  • Final: Andy Murray

This will be Rafa’s final clay court tournament before the French Open.

GOOD LUCK & VAMOS RAFA!

Advertisements

33 thoughts on “Rome Masters 2016 Draw Announced: Rafael Nadal faces tricky route to the final

  1. Rebecca

    ¡Mucha suerte, Rafa! Tu tienes todas las fuerzas para ganar en Roma y Paris! Tus fans creen en ti. Tú eres una inspiración….con tu actitúd positiva y inmenso talento. Gracias por muchos años de alegría y entretenimiento! Tú familia de tenis tiene mucho orgullo en ti y muchas horas fuera del trabajo…para verte! 🙂 ¡Que maravilloso!

    Rebecca de Alabama EE. UU.

    Like

  2. Serbzilla

    Round 1: Bye
    Round 2: Philipp Kohlschreiber
    Round 16: Milos Raonic or Nick Kyrgios
    Quarter Final: Novak Djokovic and that’s the end of the road for Nadalina

    Like

  3. Donna

    I agree with Souix – no drop shots in close games in Rome – good luck and I will be watching every match – Vamos RAFA

    Like

  4. Souix

    Rather he plays Dejokavic in QF or final is still has to win him…in Monte Carlo and Barcelona he picked off top players and seemed back to his old form. Rafa never has a walk in the park but that is why he is so great… If Dejokavic continues to win with such ease people will stop paying to go watch a 6-2 6-1 match . Rafa gives us nail biting , exciting matches with jaw dropping shots……people get their monies worth with him…when he loses he will always say he gave it his best and hopes that the fans were entertained. He very well maybe at theTwilight of his career and if so what an Incredible Illustrious career he has had and what a pleasure to have witnessed and enjoyed every single one of his trophies he has lifted. I still think he has a few more slams in him but if not he will always be Federer’s and Dejokavic nemesis and even both of them admit Rafa has made them better players…Vamos Rafa, I will be watching and rooting for you,,,, love love love you win or lose !!! PS… Get rid of the drop shot … Think you would have won Andy in Madrid if you didn’t miss so many drop shots… They are so risky in close games!!

    Like

      1. Margo

        I have watched so many of his thrilling games and shocked myself when boisterously cheering for him. Or literally finding myself at the edge of my seat. Or holding my breath. He has brought excitement to the game and I hope he keeps on ticking.

        NADAL ROCKS

        Like

  5. Elaine Crowder

    I have full confidence in Rafa, that he will do what is necessary first in Madrid,
    then he will do his best in Rome.
    HE ALWAYS DOES HIS VERY BEST,

    love,

    AlaineXX

    Like

  6. ashish

    I see opportunity for rafa playing kyrgios if that happens and also a good league of player before french open

    results should not be stressed but just needs to see from a angle of preparation

    Vamos rafa

    Like

  7. Margo

    Madrid has not yet named a winner so y’all stop hyperventilating about Rome.

    Just pretend you’re Rafa’s coach and give him some good advice.

    Channel positive thoughts his way.

    RAFFA ROCKS!

    Like

  8. Debby

    Really, what is with the bad luck with the draws? I realize it can happen when not in top 4, but there is only a 25% chance of getting in Djerko’s quarter and 75% not. So depending on what happens, this could determine him staying at #5 for French Open, where same thing could happen. And if Fed has to withdraw again, Rafa would be #4 but too late for this draw…

    Like

  9. Margo

    Andy said that it is good to practice against opponents because it let’s you “see things.” You two have been practicing in Madrid. Did you slip up and let him see anything to give him an edge. I like Andy but you have my vote.

    RAFA ROCKS

    Like

      1. Margp

        He has probably lived a very sheltered life despite having traveled far and wide. But wise I think he is.
        I do hope he does well in Rome, for his sake.

        Like

    1. Margo

      Rafa cares about Rome and, by extension, so do his fans. He is scheduled to play there next week. So let his fans vent so long as they don’t insult possible Rafa opponents. Rafa would not approve.

      I don’t worry about draws because I want him to beat everybody. If he doesn’t, there’s always the next tournament.

      Nadal takes one match at a time and that’s how I approach following his matches. I don’t have a crystal ball to predict who he will play in a tounament that hasn’t even started. Nor do I care to speculate. There are usually unexpected surprises. Look at the WTA with so many withdrawals of the top female players at Madrid. I am sure that the fans who follow women’s tennis were disheartened by the withdrawals and injuries.

      I am just happy that Rafa is playing and feeling good . He is also improving which I know gives him joy.

      CHAMP RAFA!

      Like

  10. va4favre

    OMG, that is possibly the worst draw ever, but we can’t worry about that now. Rafa’s play obviously deteriorated after the roof closing delay. I am happy that he was able to close it out on the third. This was the type of match Rafa was losing last year.

    Like

    1. Margo

      Andy did mention that the conditions were difficult after the roof was closed during his game.
      How does the closed roof affect a tennis game? Ball? Surface? Answers anyone? Thanks

      Like

      1. va4favre

        There are some comments on tennis.com on this. In short, they say Rafa’s ball does not bounce as high, becomes flat and spins less. I am not an expert, but Rafa does not like to play indoors or in damp weather.

        Like

      2. Margo

        Aahhh
        Thanks so much. I tried Google but couldn’t find an answer about specific cons of a closed roof court during play.

        Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s