- Nadal Streaks Into Third Round, To Renew Fognini Rivalry (via ATP World Tour)
Eighth seed Rafael Nadal needed two hours and 41 minutes to turn aside Diego Schwartzman 7-6(5), 6-3, 7-5 on Wednesday at the US Open. It was his 750th tour-level match win.
“I think I served well today,” said Nadal. “My serve was working well. I think I had the match under control at the beginning playing well. Then I played a bad game with the 5-3. Then the match became a little bit more crazy (with) some ups and downs.”
- Tested but not beaten, Nadal advances (via US Open)
Schwartzman had eight chances to break Nadal, but converted on only three of them. Nadal converted on half his break chances. Nadal also committed more unforced errors – 40 – than he did winners – 38. But during the first week of the US Open, you do not have to win the tournament, you can only lose it. So Nadal has to be pleased to be moving on and getting off the court in three sets.
Suwat Liptapanlop, president of the Lawn Tennis Association of Thailand, said Wednesday that the match would be played on Oct. 2 at Bangkok’s Hua Mark Indoor Stadium.
- Lopez: Rafa Will Rise Again; Spanish Tennis May Not (via Tennis Now)
“All those players they have been through tough moments. I remember Roger two or three years ago he was not playing his best, but he was able to come back stronger, as he is now,” Lopez said. “And Rafa, I think he is gonna do the same. It’s not easy to be on the top of the hill every year. So he’s not playing his best, but I think he’s gonna be okay. If not this year then next year.”
- Behind the scenes at the US Open: Player registration (via US Open)
The player registration desk is the gateway to the US Open, and Danielle Gooding and her four-person team makes sure there are plenty of smiles – and candy – to go around.
“We’re like a little family,” Gooding said. “Federer has a very sweet tooth. He always comes in and starts eating Starbursts. Nadal is so, so nice. He gives kisses to everyone. Francesca Schiavone, Tomas Berdych, Caroline Wozniacki, Andy Murray – they’re all great. Fernando Verdasco always comes behind our desk and says hello. It’s fantastic.”
- Men’s second round action (via US Open)
- Rafael Nadal beats Diego Schwartzman to reach US Open third round
- US Open 2015: Rafael Nadal’s second-round press conference (via US Open)
- Match report: Nadal vs Schwartzman (via US Open)
- Exclusive Behind The Scenes Of Rafael Nadal’s Tommy Hilfiger Shoot (via Men’s Fitness)
- Rafael Nadal Gear Guide for US Open (via Tennis Express)