- Nadal, McEnroe, Hewitt Keep Focus On Tennis at JMTP Benefit (via Tennis Panorama)
“He’s done me a huge favor and I owe him one big time,” said McEnroe. “He’s come here for nothing and it is very, very much appreciated.” In another exchange he added, “When you get to be stature of Rafael Nadal, you expect people to come up to you, even the older players, to pay respect to you. Rafael’s never been that type.”
“Nick Kyrgios is going to be playing doubles with me, along with my brother [Patrick] and Jonas Bjorkman,” McEnroe started. “I made a decision based on some of the ongoing stuff. While I want to be supportive of Nick and think he’s a tremendous talent…It would be better served for him at this particular time to maybe take a step back.”
- ESPN’s Brad Gilbert: Serena Williams has a ‘brutal draw’ but will still win U.S. Open (via USA Today)
Brad Gilbert: Obviously I root for the guy, I love the guy, but he’s struggled against the top 10 this year. I think he’s 2-7? Borna Coric isn’t an easy match to start with! Hopefully he gets through and gets to the second week but beating Coric isn’t going to be an easy task, he’s lost to him once before. At the French when Rafa and Djoker played in the quarter, you could see the showdown coming. Now, you just hope Rafa gets there.
- Rafael Nadal’s US Open Plan and Why He Loves Broadway (via Vanity Fair)
At a cocktail party on Thursday at the New York Palace, Nadal told VF.com that when he’s in New York, heading to Broadway is one of his favorite things to do. He said he loves Phantom of the Opera so much that he’s seen it “like seven times.” Other shows on his must see list? “Les Misérables, Mamma Mia!, Lion King . . .”
“The year has been not ideal for me, but it’s not a disaster. It’s a little bit lower here, more ups and downs then the last 10 years probably. But I will work as hard as I can to come back and then in the right way,” he said.
- Tommy X Nadal Infographics: Nadal by the numbers (via behance.net)
PHOTOS: Around the grounds fun (via US Open)
- Interview: Rafael Nadal promoting Hilfiger before the US Open (via USA Today)
- Rafael Nadal plays table tennis in New York City (via USA Today)
- Tommy Hilfiger: Play to win, live BOLD
- Rafael Nadal’s Today Show Interview
- The Johnny Mac Tennis Project Benefit 2015 – Press Conference: Intro, Nadal and McEnroe field questions double, Rafa on US Open, Rafa on his play results, Rafa on his health, Rafa starting tennis academy (via Luis Vazquez)