- Rafael Nadal playing as if he ‘feels like his career is over’ says Sampras, but ‘he’ll be fine’ (via The National)
“It just seems like anxiety is creeping in, he seems a little bit nervous, he’s hitting a lot of short balls,” Sampras told “The Tennis Podcast”. “Guys don’t fear him as much and it’s tough to play defence out there. Mentally and physically he’s been out there a while and it’s taking its toll.”
“I think he is still working hard. He is doing all the right things, he is just not playing as well. When Rafa struggles, I think he feels like his career is over. But he’ll be fine, he’ll get back to where he once was.”
- Nishikori Breaks Through Against Nadal, Faces Murray In SF (via ATP World Tour)
“Without a doubt he was better than me today,” said Nadal. “So just congratulate him. I think in the first six or seven games of the match, I should have been level, but it was 5-1. When this happens, it’s tough against a player like Kei. I had a chance for 2-0, then I had a tough game on serve, which I finally lost.
“I know it’s at the beginning of the match and the result was clear, but when you’re playing a player like Kei and in the situation I’m in today, it would have been easier if I’d started the match a little bit better. Because that would have given me confidence.”
- Marathon day at Montreal Rogers Cup ends at 1:56 a.m. with two Rafael Nadal defeats in one night (via Yahoo Sports)
“I mean, he’s still not maybe 100 per cent, but he’s Rafa. I never beat him before, so I knew I have play 100 per cent to beat Rafa,” Nishikori said. “I knew I have to be aggressive, so I have to change some tactics to play against Rafa.”
- Nadal Bounced by Nishikori in Montreal (via Tennis Now)
With the loss, Nadal fell to 41-13 in 2015 (10-5 on hard courts). The Spaniard has won a Masters 1000 title in each of the last ten seasons, but he has yet to manage one in his first six chances of the season. Nadal will only have three more opportunities in 2015, with Cincinnati, Shanghai and Paris still on the schedule.
- Federer, Nadal on Cincy Collision Course (via ATP World Tour)
Roger Federer faces a tough path in his quest to successfully defend his Western & Southern Open crown, with Rafael Nadal in his quarter, while top seed Novak Djokovic has Stan Wawrinka as a potential quarter-final opponent in his quest to claim the Career Golden Masters.
AUDIO: Sampras’ thoughts on Rafa’s struggles (via The Tennis Podcast)
- Rafa Nadal: Happy 75th Anniversary to Tennis Club Vigo (via farodevigo.es)
- Match Report: Rogers Cup – Nishikori v. Nadal (via Tennis Canada)
- Rafa Rips Double Hot Shot In Montreal 2015
- Jean-René Dufort finds a solution for Rafael Nadal’s water bottles