The second-seeded Spaniard reached his first quarterfinal since capturing his record ninth French Open title in June with a 6-3, 6-4 win over German qualifier Peter Gojowczyk at the China Open on Thursday, then blasted the choice of tennis balls at the tournament. “The ball is so bad here,” Nadal said. “If you throw the ball on the floor, the bounce goes everywhere. Is not a question of winning or losing. I won in Rio (earlier this year) with this ball. It’s just that we’re competing at the top level of our sport, tennis, and the ball is an important thing.”
- Nadal Says There Is More Work To Do (via ATP World Tour)
“In general I need to improve. It’s obvious. My serve worked well today. But in general I need more rhythm on the legs, more rhythm on the shots. I am playing okay, trying to not miss a lot, trying to play with not too many risks. That’s what I did today. It’s the only way to have matches, only way to have rhythm.
- Nadal no levanta el pie (via El Pais)
Ni rastro de dolor. Nada de óxido. Un Rafael Nadal ya casi de cuerpo entero eliminó 6-3 y 6-4 al alemán Gojowczyk en octavos del torneo de Pekín y volvió a dejar pistas de que las molestias que dice seguir sintiendo en la muñeca derecha, que le han mantenido tres meses fuera del circuito, no le impiden enfrentarse a la competición a pecho descubierto.
- Fashion Focus: Federer & Nadal Nike Winter 2014 (via The Slice)
Rafa’s already in China and wearing the Winter Premier Rafa Crew in, what Nike calls, dusty cactus (turquoise) with cooper flash (orange). And, of course, Rafa’s kit has the Winter Rafa Icon T-Shirt with a giant bull logo and comes in black and turquoise.
- Djokovic, Nadal Feted At Players’ Party (via ATP World Tour)
Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal headlined an official government reception that doubled as the China Open players’ party, hosted at the InterContinental Beijing Beichen on Monday. Nadal and Serena Williams were awarded “best dressed” for the evening.
- Rafael Nadal defeats Peter Gojowczyk to reach quarter finals at China Open in Beijing
- The Evolution of Tennis Fashion: Rafael Nadal (via SI.com)
- Interview with Rafael Nadal – Beijing R2
- Master del Rafa Nadal Tour by MAPFRE 2014 – Mallorca (via Rafa Nadal Foundation)
- Valores en el Master Rafa Nadal Tour by MAPFRE 2014 (More videos on Rafa Nadal Foundation YouTube channel)