- Only Rafael Nadal Can Stop Himself from Winning 2nd Australian Open (via bleacherreport.com)
… Looking at his performance so far, it’s hard to believe Rafael Nadal has only won in Melbourne once. The No. 1 seed has looked unstoppable so far in the 2014 Australian Open, and there is little that would indicate he can’t continue all the way to the title.
- Relentless Rafa wears down Nishikori (via AO)
… The win sets up a quarterfinal clash between Nadal and Grigor Dimitrov, the 22nd-seeded Bulgarian who ended Roberto Bautista Agut’s run earlier today. Nadal said he’s looking forward to the match with a player who has long been touted as a future champion. “He’s amazing; he has everything to be [the] next big star, he already is,” said Nadal. “For me is a great result to be in quarterfinals after missing last year.”
- Nadal Overcomes Nishikori To Reach QFs (via ATP)
… Nadal had marched into the Round of 16 with the loss of 16 games, and though his match against Nishikori also ended in straight sets, the victory proved to be far from routine.
- Australian Open: Nadal d. Nishikori (via tennis.com)
- Rafael Nadal, Andy Murray to quarters (via ESPN)
… Top-ranked Rafael Nadal advanced to the quarterfinals of the Australian Open after a 7-6 (3), 7-5, 7-6 (3) win over Kei Nishikori of Japan. Nadal was broken twice in the third set — getting a time violation from chair umpire Evanthia Asderaki in one of them.
- Australian Open 2014: Rafael Nadal defeats Japan’s Kei Nishikori to reach quarter final (via The Telegraph)
- Umpire calls time violations against Rafael Nadal (via The Australian)
- INTERVIEW: Rafa Nadal’s left hand is causing him big problems and he may have to play with a bandage.
- Nadal: “No creo que pueda jugar sin vendaje el resto del torneo” (via Marca)
… “No creo que pueda jugar sin vendaje los partidos que restan. Es una situación nueva para mí y eso lo hace complicado. Pierdo sensibilidad con la raqueta pero necesitaría cinco días para cortar la carne muerta y que salga una nueva y no los tengo porque estoy en Australia. Si se me abre la herida en carne viva el torneo corre peligro para mí.”
- Nadal, a cuartos con ampollas (via El Pais)
- Nadal sudó la gota gorda ante Nishikori (via sport.es)
- Rafa Nadal repite con MAPFRE (via controlpublicidad.com)
- Men’s half-term report: The usual suspects (via AO)
… As we enter the second week of Australian Open 2014, Alix Ramsay says the men’s singles crown has come down to a familiar battle between the Big Four.
- Reflections: Australian Open Day 8 (via The Slice)
- Highlights: Nadal v Nishikori
- Nadal: Every set was very tough
- Game Set and Mats: Highlights
- Nadal suffers fall, needs new shoes: Rafa went down on his bum at one stage against Kei Nishikori but recovered to win the match with a new pair of shoes.
- Nadal’s painful injury: Rafa needed treatment on a cut on his hand as he beat Kei Nishikori in the Australian Open. (via Eurosport)
- Nadal takes second set in style
- Nadal’s crushing forehand
- Rafa Nadal’s New Game – Episode 3 Setting Final Poker Strategy