The draw was performed today in New York City. Defending champion and top seed Rafael Nadal has been drawn to face countryman David Ferrer in the first round of the US Open. Last year’s runner-up Kevin Anderson is in Rafa’s quarter along with Dominic Thiem and Denis Shapovalov.
If it falls per ranking, this would be Rafa’s path to the final:
- 1st round: David Ferrer
- 2nd round: Lukas Lacko
- 3rd round: Karen Khachanov
- 4th round: Kyle Edmund or Jack Sock
- Quarter-final: Kevin Anderson
- Semi-final: Juan Martin del Potro
- Final: Roger Federer
If the men play to seed the quarter-final line up will be:
- Rafael Nadal vs. Kevin Anderson
- Juan Martin del Potro vs. Grigor Dimitrov
- Alexander Zverev vs. Marin Cilic
- Novak Djokovic vs. Roger Federer
Our champ is bidding to clinch a 18th grand slam title of his career and his fourth in the Big Apple.
Rafa, who has a 53-10 record in New York City, including the 2010, 2013 and 2017 crowns, has never lost in the first round of the US Open and last failed to get past the second round 14 years ago, when he lost to Andy Roddick in 2004.
The tournament starts on Monday.
GOOD LUCK & VAMOS RAFA!