- Nadal Backing Spain’s “Unforgettable Generation” (via Eurobasket 2015)
The 14-time grand slam champion travelled to Stade Pierre Mauroy fresh from his own national team triumph, having helped Spain defeat Denmark 5-0 in the Davis Cup’s second-tier relegation playoff on Saturday.
“I have been watching almost every game, especially the Spanish ones,” Nadal said.
“For me it’s a privilege to be here supporting my team and they are having an amazing tournament so I wish them all the best for the final.”
- Zone Group I round-up: Nadal and Verdasco secure tie for Spain (via Davis Cup)
Spain secured their spot in Zone Group I for 2016, after Rafael Nadal and Fernando Verdasco overcame dogged Danish duo Frederik Nielsen and Thomas Kromann in four sets, giving Conchita Martinez’s troops an unassailable 3-0 margin.
- Nadal and Verdasco secure Spain a spot in Group I of the Davis Cup (via Tennis TourTalk)
Off the court, the Spaniards seemed to enjoy their stay in Denmark. “It is a beautiful city here and waking up this morning with the sunshine was amazing. It was a great week for us with nice people around us. The organization was perfect. We felt like home, also thanks to the great support from the Spanish fans,” Nadal said and did not want to confirm the chances of teaming up with Verdasco at the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro next year.
- Rio 2016 perhaps will be my last Olympics: Rafael Nadal (via sportzwiki.com)
“I have important meetings before the Olympic Games. When the time comes I will take part and I hope to be there to compete. In Beijing, in 2008, I experienced one of the best moments of my career. I was injured for the London Olympics in 2012 and that time was one of the hardest moments for me. I lost the chance to compete and hope to be there in 2016, where I will probably have my last chance. I don”t know if I will be in Tokyo in 2020. We must know that in Rio I’ll be 30-years old. I don”t know if I’ll be in the circuit at 34 years, maybe yes maybe no, I don”t know if I will be able to compete in five years.”
- Entrevista exclusiva con Rafael Nadal (via GQ Mexico)
- Match Point: Nielsen/Kroman vs Nadal/Verdasco (via Tennis TourTalk)
- Nadal/Verdasco: “Teníamos la obligación de ganar y lo hemos podido cumplir” (via Davis Cup)
- Conchita Martínez: “Estoy inmensamente agradecida a los jugadores que han venido” (via Davis Cup)
- Rafael Nadal y David Ferrer se pasan al baloncesto horas antes de la final del EuroBasket 2015 (via RFET)
- An interview with Rafael Nadal and Fernando Verdasco
- Rafael Nadal sends good-luck message to Spanish basketball team