Rafael Nadal beats Taylor Fritz for third Acapulco title

(AFP) – World number two Rafael Nadal captured his first ATP Tour title of 2020, easily defeating unseeded Taylor Fritz in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2, in the final of the Mexico Open on Saturday. He didn’t drop a set all week and improved to 19-2 all-time at this event.

He nabbed his third Mexico Open title to go with victories in 2013 and 2005.

“I couldn’t be happier. I played a great event from the beginning to the end,” Rafa said. “Acapulco was the first big title that I won in my career, so to be able to stay here after 15 years is amazing. I can’t thank enough the people who make me feel at home every single time.”

Rafa wasted no time figuring out Fritz’s game in the first career meeting between the two. The 19-time Grand Slam winner made eight unforced errors and needed just one ace but it came in the final game of the second set to get to championship point.

Rafa closed it out with a blistering serve that handcuffed Fritz and gave Rafa his 85th career title.

Rafa won the final eight points to take the first set. He seized control by breaking Fritz’s serve in the ninth game to go up 5-4. He then served for the set, winning four straight points. On set point he hammered a serve which Fritz barely got back. That set up an overhead smash for Rafa which he put away nicely. Rafa broke Fritz twice in the second set, including the fifth game to go up 3-2. He broke Fritz again to take a 5-4 lead and then served out the match.

Rafa has now won a title 17 consecutive years.

Source: AFP

Advertisements

52 comments

  1. The cancellation of Indian Wells will mean that all players will drop their points gained at last year’s tournament. Rafa will drop 360, as he reached the semi-final last year, whereas Novak will only lose 45 points because he was knocked out in the round of 32. This will widen the gap between the two. At least Novak will not have the chance to secure the title and add a further 955 points to his tally.

    Roger is the least affected as he was going to miss the tournament anyway through injury. Dominic Thiem will drop 1000 points, which is the most, as he won the title last year. The top ten positions will remain unchanged.

    • Lorna, is that what the ATP announced? I hope it’s not true because it’s beyond players’ control. That would be unfair I would think.

      • Margo, I read this in an article by Essentially Sports. The ATP hasn’t confirmed that points from last year’s IW will drop off, so I suppose it’s wise to hear it from the horse’s mouth. However, there will be players who will be disadvantaged and some who will benefit depending on whether the points are retained or lost.

        I’ve been asking myself whether it was absolutely necessary to cancel the whole tournament because of one known virus case and I’m wondering if organisers have used a sledge hammer to crack a nut (just a thought guys).

        Amidst all of this, Steve Johnson has just won the challenger tournament in IW.

    • Hi Lorna,
      In response to your previous comment I don’t believe IW had a choice but to cancel. Both Riverside County where they are and the State of California have declared emergencies. The CDC was also consulted. It has to be remembered that most attendees at this event have traditionally been elderly people who are the most vulnerable. I believe they made a wise decision.

      Having said that I already miss tennis terribly. Will have to start watching old matches on youtube to get my fix.

      • Thanks for shedding more light on the issue RR. I’m sure many people, like me, are not in possession of the full facts surrounding the cancellation and will have questioned the decision of IW. Your explanation has provided some clarification.

      • RR, thanks for the additional information. I had no idea about the age bracket of most attendees at this event.

        I guess tournament directors will have to go day-by-day for following tournaments.

        Be well all.

  2. Sad news that Indian Wells is cancelled due to a confirmed case of coronavirus and we can only wait and see what further information comes out of this. Indian Wells is one of my favourite tournaments to watch, so I’m really disappointed that it won’t be going ahead. I sympathise with the players, as they have trained hard in preparation for the event, and fans hoping to attend, but of course health and safety is paramount. This could have a catastrophic domino effect on the tour.

    Jamie Murray tweeted “Doesn’t bode well for the tour if IW tour cancelled for one confirmed case in Coachella Valley. Broward County (Miami Open home) has more confirmed cases. Monte Carlo borders northern Italy currently in lockdown. Rome Masters? French Open? Wimbledon?!!!” The list goes on. Meanwhile, Rafa has urged everyone to stay well and safe.

    • Lorna, I don’t think they canceled the tournament just because of one confirmed case. I could be wrong of course.

      To date there are still so many unanswered questions regarding community spread, when an individual becomes contagious, definitive incubation period, and how it spreads. This is a new virus so epidemiologists are being guided by how SARS and MERS spread. It is also possible that ticket holders were trying to find out if they could get a refund, or that the ATP wanted to avoid lawsuits. So many variables are possible for the cancellation.

      I just hope the US can contain it but every day we have more confirmed cases. I can’t imagine what the Italians are going through.

      I think starting the tournament and then having to cancel remaining matches would be worse for players.

      Here’s wishing everyone everywhere stays well.

Leave a Reply to Lorna Cancel reply